No matter what your financial goals are—whether you want to buy a home, start a business or retire—financial planning is a key tool to help you ensure you achieve your goals. Our holistic financial planning process looks at your whole financial life, from your banking to your investments to your insurance, and formulates a customized, personalized plan designed just for you.
Why create a financial plan?
A comprehensive financial plan is a framework for organizing the pieces of your financial picture—from banking to your investments, insurance, estate and more. Having a financial plan increases the likelihood that you'll reach your financial goals because the plan will help you focus on your goals and understand what it will take to reach them.
One of the main benefits of having a financial plan is that it can help you balance multiple financial priorities. For example, you may want to save for your children's college education, but also want to save for your retirement. The plan will help you decide how to prioritize your goals, implement specific strategies, and choose suitable products or services. Best of all, you'll have the peace of mind that comes from knowing that your financial life is on track.
The financial planning process
Creating, implementing and continually adjusting your comprehensive financial plan often involves working with financial professionals to:
- Develop a clear picture of your current financial situation by reviewing your income, assets, and liabilities, and evaluating your insurance coverage, your investment portfolio, your tax exposure, and your estate plan
- Establish and prioritize financial goals and time frames for achieving these goals
- Implement strategies that address your current financial weaknesses and build on your financial strengths
- Choose specific products and services that are tailored to meet your financial objectives
- Monitor your plan, making adjustments as your goals, time frames, or circumstances change
Some members of the team
The financial planning process can involve a number of professionals.
- Financial planners typically play a central role in the process, focusing on your overall financial plan, and often coordinating the activities of other professionals who have expertise in specific areas.
- Accountants or tax attorneys provide advice on federal and state tax issues.
- Estate planning attorneys help you plan your estate and give advice on transferring and managing your assets before and after your death.
- Insurance professionals evaluate insurance needs and recommend appropriate products and strategies.
- Investment advisors provide advice about investment options and asset allocation, and can help you plan a strategy to manage your investment portfolio.
The most important member of the team, however, is you. Your needs and objectives drive the team, and once you've carefully considered any recommendations, you get to make the decisions about your plan.
Fidelity has the experience and expertise to help you develop your financial plan. For more information about financial planning and to schedule an appointment, please contact us at 1-800-388-4380.